Skip to main content

No More PL/SQL Obsession by Steven Feuerstein on ToadWorld

A month ago, I received this email:
Hi Steven, just to inform you that your "PL/SQL Obsession" page is out of work, http://www.toadworld.com/sf answers "Page Not Found"  Maybe Dell has blocked you?
So I thought I would post a note on my blog to clarify matters.

For many years, Quest and then Dell "hosted" my online PL/SQL resources at http://www.toadworld.com/sf:

I had lots of fun with that page, and am especially grateful to Steve Hilker for helping me keep it current and useful for thousands of PL/SQL developers.

We came up with what I still feel is the best way to describe my relationship to PL/SQL:


PL/SQL Obsession

And for more than a year after I joined Oracle (in March 2014), Dell and I agreed that we should keep the PL/SQL Obsession site intact, with all of my content, even that which they did not own.

But all things - good or otherwise - must come to an end. It's confusing to have me working at Oracle but still seeming to be "at" Dell inside ToadWorld.

So we, ahem, refactored the PL/SQL Obsession page so that it continues to offer PL/SQL resources, but is not tied to me personally, and we turned back on the redirect from toadworld.com/SF, so that you will no longer see a Page Not Found error.


So the bottom line is that you will still find it handy to head over to toadworld.com/SF for PL/SQL resources, but you will find the most current reflection of my PL/SQL activities at:

PL/SQL Home Page - Best starting point
PL/SQL Challenge - PL/SQL Quizzes (and more)
My Books on PL/SQL - published by O'Reilly Media

And of course there are lots of other great resources for Oracle Database developers at:

PL/SQL and EBR Blog - by our distinguished product manager, Bryn Llewellyn
PL/SQL on OTN - with content and the very active discussion forum
ORACLE-BASE - by the irrepressible Tim Hall
oracle-developer.net - fantastic articles and scripts by Adrian Billington
PL/SQL Scripts on LiveSQL - 24x7 access to Oracle Database 12c + code library
Ask Tom - you can still ask, but questions are now answered by Chris Saxon and Connor McDonald of the Oracle Database Developer Advocates team

Comments

  1. Obviously Larry and Michael need to merge to instantiate the optimal solution. Until then this seems best.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Quick Guide to User-Defined Types in Oracle PL/SQL

A Twitter follower recently asked for more information on user-defined types in the PL/SQL language, and I figured the best way to answer is to offer up this blog post. PL/SQL is a strongly-typed language . Before you can work with a variable or constant, it must be declared with a type (yes, PL/SQL also supports lots of implicit conversions from one type to another, but still, everything must be declared with a type). PL/SQL offers a wide array of pre-defined data types , both in the language natively (such as VARCHAR2, PLS_INTEGER, BOOLEAN, etc.) and in a variety of supplied packages (e.g., the NUMBER_TABLE collection type in the DBMS_SQL package). Data types in PL/SQL can be scalars, such as strings and numbers, or composite (consisting of one or more scalars), such as record types, collection types and object types. You can't really declare your own "user-defined" scalars, though you can define subtypes  from those scalars, which can be very helpful from the p...

The future of Oracle PL/SQL: some thoughts on Sten Vesterli's thoughts

Sten Vesterli published a very thought-provoking post on his blog: Please stop reading this post, and read that one. When you are done, come on back here for my thoughts on Sten's thoughts. OK. You read it. Here we go. First, thanks, Sten, for being such an interesting, wise, sometimes provocative voice in our community. Next, Sten writes: Now, on the one hand, I certainly agree that the vast majority of young developers are currently caught up in the modern version of a Gold Rush, which is: "Build an app using JavaScript, pay no attention to that database behind the curtain." But I can assure you that I still do meet young PL/SQL programmers, regularly, when I am at conferences and doing onsite presentations at companies. So, young person who writes PL/SQL: do not be afraid! You are not alone! And you are super-smart to have made the choice you did. :-) Next, Sten offers this advice to managers: I agree that PL/SQL is a "spec...

Table Functions, Part 1: Introduction and Exploration

Please do feel encouraged to read this and my other posts on table functions, but you will learn much more about table functions by taking my Get Started with PL/SQL Table Functions class at the Oracle Dev Gym. Videos, tutorials and quizzes - then print a certificate when you are done! Table functions - functions that can be called in the FROM clause of a query from inside the TABLE operator - are fascinating and incredibly helpful constructs. So I've decided to write a series of blog posts on them: how to build them, how to use them, issues you might run into. Of course, I am not the first to do so. I encourage to check out the  documentation , as well as excellent posts from Adrian Billington (search for "table functions") and Tim Hall . Adrian and Tim mostly focus on pipelined table functions, a specialized variant of table functions designed to improve performance and reduce PGA consumption. I will take a look at pipelined table functions in the latter part...