Skip to main content

My resolutions for 2016: a short, sweet, focused list

Oracle Database Insider newsletter asked me to do another round of resolutions for the coming year. Since I love it when other people act as though they are interested in what I have to say, I told my manager I would have to clear my calendar for a couple of days and get this done. He agreed - so long as I did it during my week off between Christmas and New Years.

Oh, OK.


Before getting to the resolutions, I encourage you to subscribe to this very interesting and useful newsletter.


Here goes....


1. Finish what I and we started. 


I have a long-standing and bad habit of getting all excited about new stuff: new programs, new applications, new websites, new programs…go, go go! But I am not so good at making sure that all the existing and really great stuff is “finished” (as useful and usable as it could be).

So for 2016, I resolve to consolidate what is already in place and make sure our users can get the most out of it. I am thinking about websites like Ask Tom, LiveSQL, PL/SQL Challenge, Oracle Learning Library, the Oracle Database Developer Choice Awards and…

2. Don’t let the screen own me.

Without a doubt, I spend waaaaay too much time in front of multiple monitors and screens (but at least I don’t do anything with my smartphone besides phone calls, texts and photos - and I do not own a tablet). 

Of course, I need to do that for my job, but I hereby resolve to get away each day, multiple times a day, to go outside, no matter the weather, feel the sun and wind on my skin, breathe deeply and celebrate the natural world.

Along the way, I will as a result think more clearly and write better code.

I think.

3. Teach my granddaughter, Loey (age 4), to write code.

Nah, just kidding. 

I believe children should be kept away from computers and technology for as long and as much as possible (and that includes television). They will have loads of time to get sucked up into the Borg known as Civilization. Take your children outside instead, encourage them to play in the dirt (side benefit: boosts their immune system as they grow up into - possibly - a world without effective antibiotics), appreciate trees with them, explore the real world, not a world made of code.

4. Identify and help “raise up” the next generation of PL/SQL experts.

I might not look it, but I am old. Well, 57, anyway. :-) PL/SQL is going to be around - and utilized heavily - for many years to come. We need “young blood” - people under 40, I am thinking - to understand and champion “the hardest working language in software.” (I just made that up, by the way).

The Oracle Database Developer Choice Awards program is designed to do this, broadly, but I will also complement it with a focused effort.

Of course, you could make it easy on me. Are you young(er), experiencing JavaScript framework whiplash, feeling like "Dang, those databases sure are important and sure should be utilized more than they are these days"?

Then get in touch. Let me know you are interested in getting more involved with application development on Oracle Database - and perhaps PL/SQL more specifically.

........

I could go on (anyone who's familiar with my books will attest to that). So tempting, but I will end with just one more:

5. FOCUS

I will keep my lists short and my priorities clear.

So that's it.

I hope you all have a very healthy and productive 2016.

Spend as much time as you can with family and friends.

Write code those same family and friends would be happy to maintain for you (!).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Quick Guide to User-Defined Types in Oracle PL/SQL

A Twitter follower recently asked for more information on user-defined types in the PL/SQL language, and I figured the best way to answer is to offer up this blog post. PL/SQL is a strongly-typed language . Before you can work with a variable or constant, it must be declared with a type (yes, PL/SQL also supports lots of implicit conversions from one type to another, but still, everything must be declared with a type). PL/SQL offers a wide array of pre-defined data types , both in the language natively (such as VARCHAR2, PLS_INTEGER, BOOLEAN, etc.) and in a variety of supplied packages (e.g., the NUMBER_TABLE collection type in the DBMS_SQL package). Data types in PL/SQL can be scalars, such as strings and numbers, or composite (consisting of one or more scalars), such as record types, collection types and object types. You can't really declare your own "user-defined" scalars, though you can define subtypes  from those scalars, which can be very helpful from the p

The differences between deterministic and result cache features

 EVERY once in a while, a developer gets in touch with a question like this: I am confused about the exact difference between deterministic and result_cache. Do they have different application use cases? I have used deterministic feature in many functions which retrieve data from some lookup tables. Is it essential to replace these 'deterministic' key words with 'result_cache'?  So I thought I'd write a post about the differences between these two features. But first, let's make sure we all understand what it means for a function to be  deterministic. From Wikipedia : In computer science, a deterministic algorithm is an algorithm which, given a particular input, will always produce the same output, with the underlying machine always passing through the same sequence of states.  Another way of putting this is that a deterministic subprogram (procedure or function) has no side-effects. If you pass a certain set of arguments for the parameters, you will always get

My two favorite APEX 5 features: Regional Display Selector and Cards

We (the over-sized development team for the PL/SQL Challenge - myself and my son, Eli) have been busy creating a new website on top of the PLCH platform (tables and packages): The Oracle Dev Gym! In a few short months (and just a part time involvement by yours truly), we have leveraged Oracle Application Express 5 to create what I think is an elegant, easy-to-use site that our users will absolutely love.  We plan to initially make the Dev Gym available only for current users of PL/SQL Challenge, so we can get feedback from our loyal user base. We will make the necessary adjustments and then offer it for general availability later this year. Anyway, more on that as the date approaches (the date being June 27, the APEX Open Mic Night at Kscope16 , where I will present it to a packed room of APEX experts). What I want to talk about today are two features of APEX that are making me so happy these days: Regional Display Selector and Cards. Regional Display Sel