Skip to main content

Another reminder of the elegance and brevity of CASE expressions

Building a script for an upcoming PL/SQL Challenge quiz, I wrote a nested procedure as follows:

   PROCEDURE show_cursor_status
   IS
   BEGIN
      IF all_in_one_cur%ISOPEN
      THEN
         DBMS_OUTPUT.put_line ('all_in_one_cur is still open');
      ELSE
         DBMS_OUTPUT.put_line ('all_in_one_cur is closed');
      END IF;

      IF department_cur%ISOPEN
      THEN
         DBMS_OUTPUT.put_line ('department_cur is still open');
      ELSE
         DBMS_OUTPUT.put_line ('department_cur is closed');
      END IF;

      IF employee_cur%ISOPEN
      THEN
         DBMS_OUTPUT.put_line ('employee_cur is still open');
      ELSE
         DBMS_OUTPUT.put_line ('employee_cur is closed');
      END IF;
   END;

Nothing wrong with that, of course. Works just fine.

But there's a lot of repetition. I hate that. I like to normalize my code. And when the repetitive code is based on an IF statement, I immediately think of CASE - expressions:

   PROCEDURE show_cursor_status
   IS
   BEGIN
      DBMS_OUTPUT.put_line (
            'all_in_one_cur is '
         || CASE WHEN all_in_one_cur%ISOPEN THEN 'open' ELSE 'closed' END);

      DBMS_OUTPUT.put_line (
            'department_cur is '
         || CASE WHEN department_cur%ISOPEN THEN 'open' ELSE 'closed' END);

      DBMS_OUTPUT.put_line (
            'employee_cur is '
         || CASE WHEN employee_cur%ISOPEN THEN 'open' ELSE 'closed' END);
   END;

But, wait, still....there's more repetition: each of those CASE expressions. So I can use a nested function to encapsulate all of that, and I am left with:

   PROCEDURE show_cursor_status
   IS
      FUNCTION cursor_state (isopen_in IN BOOLEAN)
         RETURN VARCHAR2
      IS
      BEGIN
         RETURN CASE WHEN isopen_in THEN 'open' ELSE 'closed' END;
      END;
   BEGIN
      DBMS_OUTPUT.put_line (
         'all_in_one_cur is ' || cursor_state (all_in_one_cur%ISOPEN));

      DBMS_OUTPUT.put_line (
         'department_cur is ' || cursor_state (department_cur%ISOPEN));

      DBMS_OUTPUT.put_line (
         'employee_cur is ' || cursor_state (employee_cur%ISOPEN));
   END;

Ah....much better. No code repetition. Of course, in a subprogram this small, repetition is not too deadly a problem. Still, programs tend to get more complex over time, not simpler.

So assuming you (I) will be coming back to this code in the future, making sure that any particular piece of logic is implemented in just once place greatly reduces the cost and complexity of maintenance going forward, and also reduces the chance of introducing bugs.

Follow Up

I invited readers (via Twitter) to improve upon my code, and BluShadow came through with:

PROCEDURE show_cursor_status
IS
   PROCEDURE cursor_state (cur_name IN VARCHAR2, isopen_in IN BOOLEAN)
   IS
   BEGIN
      DBMS_OUTPUT.put_line (
            cur_name
         || ' is '
         || CASE WHEN isopen_in THEN 'open' ELSE 'closed' END);
   END;
BEGIN
   cursor_state ('all_in_one_cur', all_in_one_cur%ISOPEN);
   cursor_state ('department_cur', department_cur%ISOPEN);
   cursor_state ('employee_cur', employee_cur%ISOPEN);
END;

Comments

  1. Great to know that we can use CASE in dbms_output

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You bet!

      DBMS_OUTPUT.put_line accepts a string as its only argument. So you can pass to this built-in any expression that evaluates to (or can be implicitly converted to) a string.

      That certainly includes a CASE expression.

      Delete
  2. Still too much repetition... I'd go for:

    PROCEDURE show_cursor_status (str IN VARCHAR2)
    IS
    PROCEDURE cursor_state (cur_name IN VARCHAR2, isopen_in IN BOOLEAN)
    IS
    BEGIN
    DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE(cur_name||' is '|| CASE WHEN isopen_in THEN 'open' ELSE 'closed' END);
    END;
    BEGIN
    cursor_state('all_in_one_cur', all_in_one_cur%ISOPEN);
    cursor_state('department_cur', department_cur%ISOPEN);
    cursor_state('employee_cur', employee_cur%ISOPEN);
    END;

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm wondering why you went from:

    PROCEDURE show_cursor_status IS

    to:

    PROCEDURE show_cursor_status (str IN VARCHAR2) IS

    The added unused parameter will break any code that was using the original spec.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for pointing that out, David. I should have removed the str parameter. I pulled this code out of a quiz I was writing, and that was displaying the "context." Not relevant here. Fixing now.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Quick Guide to User-Defined Types in Oracle PL/SQL

A Twitter follower recently asked for more information on user-defined types in the PL/SQL language, and I figured the best way to answer is to offer up this blog post. PL/SQL is a strongly-typed language . Before you can work with a variable or constant, it must be declared with a type (yes, PL/SQL also supports lots of implicit conversions from one type to another, but still, everything must be declared with a type). PL/SQL offers a wide array of pre-defined data types , both in the language natively (such as VARCHAR2, PLS_INTEGER, BOOLEAN, etc.) and in a variety of supplied packages (e.g., the NUMBER_TABLE collection type in the DBMS_SQL package). Data types in PL/SQL can be scalars, such as strings and numbers, or composite (consisting of one or more scalars), such as record types, collection types and object types. You can't really declare your own "user-defined" scalars, though you can define subtypes  from those scalars, which can be very helpful from the p...

The future of Oracle PL/SQL: some thoughts on Sten Vesterli's thoughts

Sten Vesterli published a very thought-provoking post on his blog: Please stop reading this post, and read that one. When you are done, come on back here for my thoughts on Sten's thoughts. OK. You read it. Here we go. First, thanks, Sten, for being such an interesting, wise, sometimes provocative voice in our community. Next, Sten writes: Now, on the one hand, I certainly agree that the vast majority of young developers are currently caught up in the modern version of a Gold Rush, which is: "Build an app using JavaScript, pay no attention to that database behind the curtain." But I can assure you that I still do meet young PL/SQL programmers, regularly, when I am at conferences and doing onsite presentations at companies. So, young person who writes PL/SQL: do not be afraid! You are not alone! And you are super-smart to have made the choice you did. :-) Next, Sten offers this advice to managers: I agree that PL/SQL is a "spec...

Table Functions, Part 1: Introduction and Exploration

Please do feel encouraged to read this and my other posts on table functions, but you will learn much more about table functions by taking my Get Started with PL/SQL Table Functions class at the Oracle Dev Gym. Videos, tutorials and quizzes - then print a certificate when you are done! Table functions - functions that can be called in the FROM clause of a query from inside the TABLE operator - are fascinating and incredibly helpful constructs. So I've decided to write a series of blog posts on them: how to build them, how to use them, issues you might run into. Of course, I am not the first to do so. I encourage to check out the  documentation , as well as excellent posts from Adrian Billington (search for "table functions") and Tim Hall . Adrian and Tim mostly focus on pipelined table functions, a specialized variant of table functions designed to improve performance and reduce PGA consumption. I will take a look at pipelined table functions in the latter part...