Skip to main content

So you want to write a technical book?


I received this question today:
If I wanted to write a tech book, where/how would I start?
Rather than provide an individual answer, I thought I'd answer on my blog. Here goes.

First, how I answer this question for myself (the variation being: "Do you want to write another book?"):

No, don't do it.

:-)

I decided a few years ago that I would not write new books and instead keep my core set of books on PL/SQL up to date (for anyone who's wondering, that means essentially 3 out my 10 books on PL/SQL).

It takes a lot of time to write a book, any sort of book. And certainly with a technical book you need to be concerned about technical accuracy (slightly less critical with fiction :-) ).

In addition, people aren't buying books like they used to. Gee, thanks, Google (and people publishing ripped-off e-copies of books, and all the free content published on blogs and...).

So you definitely should not go into such a project thinking you are going to make much, if any, money on the book.

Some reasons to go ahead with such a project anyway:

  • You always wanted to publish a book, see your name listed as an author. 
  • You want to build your reputation in a given technology.
  • Along with (or through) that, you want to increase the revenue you can generate around that technology (speaking fees, hourly consulting rates).
Assuming you have decided to take the plunge, you need to:
  • Decide on a topic
  • Do lots of writing.
  • Find a publisher.
Mostly in the order. But I suggest that you do not write a whole book and then look for a publisher. That is likely necessary if you are writing a work of fiction. But with a technical book, it's a bit different.

Here's my suggestion, after you decide on a topic:

1. Come up with a table of contents for your book.

2. Start blogging about your topic. You don't even have to create your own blog. Publish on LinkedIn or Medium or any number of other channels.

Pick a chapter (maybe start at the beginning, maybe not) and do some writing. Publish it. See how people respond - to your writing, to the topic, etc.

If you get a strong response, then it is time to approach publishers. This where getting a technical book published can be so much easier than a work of fiction. 

You can offer your TOC, some samples of writing, and overall summary of a book, and from that alone, secure a contract with a publisher. 

I have a long, happy history with O'Reilly Media. But there are lots of technical publishers out there. And certainly an editor I very much respect and encourage you to seek out is Jonathan Gennick. I am sure he'd be happy to talk to you, and give you even more and better advice.

Comments

  1. I'd agree with all your points. I'd suggest you also try to estimate the number of pages (and don't forget to allow for the fact that a book page is different in length to a std page in word). Then estimate your writing speed. Now you can estimate the amount of effort. Now double that number (you probably forgot that there are review cycles to do; code to write and test if its programming; if your book is going to distinguish itself then you'll need time to work through any issues in that differentiator). My experience https://blog.mp3monster.org/2016/12/26/my-experience-writing-a-technical-book/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Steven,

    I completely resonate with you do read my thoughts on same if time permits:
    http://oracleapps-atechniciansview.blogspot.in/2017/01/how-did-i-got-started-on-writing-my.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Steven,

    Sorry,I don't know where to write my doubt in your blog ,so that I can post direct in that page instead of here.

    My question is:
    "How to Run Two different procedure inside different package at a time without DBMS_SCHEDULER from SQL developer"

    or
    "How to Run Two different procedure inside different package at a time from Java"

    Please provide your suggestion .

    ReplyDelete
  4. PL/SQL is not a multi-threaded language, so you need to use something like DBMS_SCHEDULER to kick off simultaneous processes. For more discussion/details, please ask a question asktom.oracle.com.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Quick Guide to User-Defined Types in Oracle PL/SQL

A Twitter follower recently asked for more information on user-defined types in the PL/SQL language, and I figured the best way to answer is to offer up this blog post. PL/SQL is a strongly-typed language . Before you can work with a variable or constant, it must be declared with a type (yes, PL/SQL also supports lots of implicit conversions from one type to another, but still, everything must be declared with a type). PL/SQL offers a wide array of pre-defined data types , both in the language natively (such as VARCHAR2, PLS_INTEGER, BOOLEAN, etc.) and in a variety of supplied packages (e.g., the NUMBER_TABLE collection type in the DBMS_SQL package). Data types in PL/SQL can be scalars, such as strings and numbers, or composite (consisting of one or more scalars), such as record types, collection types and object types. You can't really declare your own "user-defined" scalars, though you can define subtypes  from those scalars, which can be very helpful from the p

The differences between deterministic and result cache features

 EVERY once in a while, a developer gets in touch with a question like this: I am confused about the exact difference between deterministic and result_cache. Do they have different application use cases? I have used deterministic feature in many functions which retrieve data from some lookup tables. Is it essential to replace these 'deterministic' key words with 'result_cache'?  So I thought I'd write a post about the differences between these two features. But first, let's make sure we all understand what it means for a function to be  deterministic. From Wikipedia : In computer science, a deterministic algorithm is an algorithm which, given a particular input, will always produce the same output, with the underlying machine always passing through the same sequence of states.  Another way of putting this is that a deterministic subprogram (procedure or function) has no side-effects. If you pass a certain set of arguments for the parameters, you will always get

My two favorite APEX 5 features: Regional Display Selector and Cards

We (the over-sized development team for the PL/SQL Challenge - myself and my son, Eli) have been busy creating a new website on top of the PLCH platform (tables and packages): The Oracle Dev Gym! In a few short months (and just a part time involvement by yours truly), we have leveraged Oracle Application Express 5 to create what I think is an elegant, easy-to-use site that our users will absolutely love.  We plan to initially make the Dev Gym available only for current users of PL/SQL Challenge, so we can get feedback from our loyal user base. We will make the necessary adjustments and then offer it for general availability later this year. Anyway, more on that as the date approaches (the date being June 27, the APEX Open Mic Night at Kscope16 , where I will present it to a packed room of APEX experts). What I want to talk about today are two features of APEX that are making me so happy these days: Regional Display Selector and Cards. Regional Display Sel