Skip to main content

My Oracle Open World Sessions

I will be presenting three times at Oracle Open World:

Session ID: CON7828
Session Title: The Whys and Wherefores of New Oracle Database 12c PL/SQL Features

Session ID: CON8265
Session Title: PL/SQL: The Scripting Language Liberator

Session ID: CON8450
Session Title: SQL (and PL/SQL) Tuning Experts Panel

Now, sure, that's plenty exciting.

But I have even more exciting news: we will be holding the first ever YesSQL! Celebration of SQL and PL/SQL event at OOW14 on Monday, September 29th, at 6:30 PM. Here's a description:

Co-hosted by Tom Kyte and Steven Feuerstein, YesSQL! is an Oracle Open World event celebrating SQL, PL/SQL, and the people who both make the technology and use it.

At YesSQL!, special guests Andy Mendelsohn, Maria Colgan, Andrew Holdsworth, Graham Wood and others share our stories with you, and invite you to share yours with us, because....

SQL Celebration is an open mic night. Tell us how SQL and PL/SQL - and the Oracle experts who circle the globe sharing their expertise - have affected your life!

And right after YesSQL! everyone is invited to join the big Tech Fest on Howard Street, where we can continue our conversations, and mingle with Java, MySQL and other developers in the vast Oracle ecosystem.

Bottom line: If developing applications against Oracle Database is a big a part of your life, join us for a fun and uplifting evening.

You'll be hearing more about YesSQL! in the coming months, but I thought I'd give you early notice so you can put it on your schedule.

Space is limited at YesSQL!, so be sure to sign up. The session ID is CON9027.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Quick Guide to User-Defined Types in Oracle PL/SQL

A Twitter follower recently asked for more information on user-defined types in the PL/SQL language, and I figured the best way to answer is to offer up this blog post. PL/SQL is a strongly-typed language . Before you can work with a variable or constant, it must be declared with a type (yes, PL/SQL also supports lots of implicit conversions from one type to another, but still, everything must be declared with a type). PL/SQL offers a wide array of pre-defined data types , both in the language natively (such as VARCHAR2, PLS_INTEGER, BOOLEAN, etc.) and in a variety of supplied packages (e.g., the NUMBER_TABLE collection type in the DBMS_SQL package). Data types in PL/SQL can be scalars, such as strings and numbers, or composite (consisting of one or more scalars), such as record types, collection types and object types. You can't really declare your own "user-defined" scalars, though you can define subtypes  from those scalars, which can be very helpful from the p...

The future of Oracle PL/SQL: some thoughts on Sten Vesterli's thoughts

Sten Vesterli published a very thought-provoking post on his blog: Please stop reading this post, and read that one. When you are done, come on back here for my thoughts on Sten's thoughts. OK. You read it. Here we go. First, thanks, Sten, for being such an interesting, wise, sometimes provocative voice in our community. Next, Sten writes: Now, on the one hand, I certainly agree that the vast majority of young developers are currently caught up in the modern version of a Gold Rush, which is: "Build an app using JavaScript, pay no attention to that database behind the curtain." But I can assure you that I still do meet young PL/SQL programmers, regularly, when I am at conferences and doing onsite presentations at companies. So, young person who writes PL/SQL: do not be afraid! You are not alone! And you are super-smart to have made the choice you did. :-) Next, Sten offers this advice to managers: I agree that PL/SQL is a "spec...

Table Functions, Part 1: Introduction and Exploration

Please do feel encouraged to read this and my other posts on table functions, but you will learn much more about table functions by taking my Get Started with PL/SQL Table Functions class at the Oracle Dev Gym. Videos, tutorials and quizzes - then print a certificate when you are done! Table functions - functions that can be called in the FROM clause of a query from inside the TABLE operator - are fascinating and incredibly helpful constructs. So I've decided to write a series of blog posts on them: how to build them, how to use them, issues you might run into. Of course, I am not the first to do so. I encourage to check out the  documentation , as well as excellent posts from Adrian Billington (search for "table functions") and Tim Hall . Adrian and Tim mostly focus on pipelined table functions, a specialized variant of table functions designed to improve performance and reduce PGA consumption. I will take a look at pipelined table functions in the latter part...