Skip to main content

Best laid plans or why no new post on table functions this week

I was doing so well: 1 post in my series on table functions each week.

I planned to complete a description of the table function I used in the PL/SQL Challenge rankings report, which I began here.

But then, well, things got in the way. Things like:

  • Write my next article for Oracle Magazine, only one week past due
  • Write five daily tips on PL/SQL via @sfonplsql
  • Produce two new quizzes for the PL/SQL Challenge.
  • Record a video for ODTUG to promote the YesSQL! Day at Kscope15
  • Record a "train the trainer" video to pass on some tips on how to give excellent (or at least highly entertaining) presentations.
  • Donate a small bucket of white cells and plasma to LifeSource.
  • Waaay too many conference call/meetings and waaaaaay too much email.
  • Finish up work on a root canal. Fun!
  • Cut down a bunch of invasive buckthorn (I so love that the sun sets so late in the day now!).
  • Help design and test some exciting new features for Oracle Learning Library
So my apologies, dear readers. Next week. Next week I am certain, I pledge, I promise, I will share you with my amazing table function, filled with a really complicated dynamic SQL query.

In the meantime, have a great weekend!

Comments

  1. Hello Steven,
    So great to hear that amidst the so many Oracle-related tasks, you still find
    the time for making good to others ... and, maybe, saving someone's life,
    either a human or another being ......
    Anyway, still much better to be in the position of making good to others,
    than, God forbid, fighting desperately to rescue your own life.
    Oracle is beautiful, but it can still "wait in the queue", behind other much more
    important things.
    I am sure that even the most fanatic Oracle-ists will agree with this order
    of priorities, and patiently wait for their turn :):)

    Have a great weekend & Best Regards,
    Iudith

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Quick Guide to User-Defined Types in Oracle PL/SQL

A Twitter follower recently asked for more information on user-defined types in the PL/SQL language, and I figured the best way to answer is to offer up this blog post. PL/SQL is a strongly-typed language . Before you can work with a variable or constant, it must be declared with a type (yes, PL/SQL also supports lots of implicit conversions from one type to another, but still, everything must be declared with a type). PL/SQL offers a wide array of pre-defined data types , both in the language natively (such as VARCHAR2, PLS_INTEGER, BOOLEAN, etc.) and in a variety of supplied packages (e.g., the NUMBER_TABLE collection type in the DBMS_SQL package). Data types in PL/SQL can be scalars, such as strings and numbers, or composite (consisting of one or more scalars), such as record types, collection types and object types. You can't really declare your own "user-defined" scalars, though you can define subtypes  from those scalars, which can be very helpful from the p...

The future of Oracle PL/SQL: some thoughts on Sten Vesterli's thoughts

Sten Vesterli published a very thought-provoking post on his blog: Please stop reading this post, and read that one. When you are done, come on back here for my thoughts on Sten's thoughts. OK. You read it. Here we go. First, thanks, Sten, for being such an interesting, wise, sometimes provocative voice in our community. Next, Sten writes: Now, on the one hand, I certainly agree that the vast majority of young developers are currently caught up in the modern version of a Gold Rush, which is: "Build an app using JavaScript, pay no attention to that database behind the curtain." But I can assure you that I still do meet young PL/SQL programmers, regularly, when I am at conferences and doing onsite presentations at companies. So, young person who writes PL/SQL: do not be afraid! You are not alone! And you are super-smart to have made the choice you did. :-) Next, Sten offers this advice to managers: I agree that PL/SQL is a "spec...

Table Functions, Part 1: Introduction and Exploration

Please do feel encouraged to read this and my other posts on table functions, but you will learn much more about table functions by taking my Get Started with PL/SQL Table Functions class at the Oracle Dev Gym. Videos, tutorials and quizzes - then print a certificate when you are done! Table functions - functions that can be called in the FROM clause of a query from inside the TABLE operator - are fascinating and incredibly helpful constructs. So I've decided to write a series of blog posts on them: how to build them, how to use them, issues you might run into. Of course, I am not the first to do so. I encourage to check out the  documentation , as well as excellent posts from Adrian Billington (search for "table functions") and Tim Hall . Adrian and Tim mostly focus on pipelined table functions, a specialized variant of table functions designed to improve performance and reduce PGA consumption. I will take a look at pipelined table functions in the latter part...