Skip to main content

Feedback needed for the Oracle Dev Gym dashboard

Waaaaaay back on June 27, we opened up the doors to the Oracle Dev Gym, our next generation website built on the quiz platform that powers the PL/SQL Challenge.

One of the big changes for Dev Gym is a de-emphasis on the competitive aspect of quizzes, combined with making it much, much easier for a visitor to quickly take a quiz from our library of 2000+ quizzes.

So far, overall, feedback has been quite positive, and we are very pleased.

But a number of longtime players have offered feedback like the following:
About Dev Gym: It is much easier to find what you want to do with this layout. The only thing I miss is the Dashboard where I can see at a glance the results of the latest quiz and maybe "Top Players (and You)", especially when I'm not at the first page of the Leaderboard :-)
The home page of the PL/SQL Challenge offers both a dashboard (sorry about this "empty" example, but as a site admin, I cannot compete):


and a Top Players (and You) section:


We will show lots of the Top Players report on our Leaderboard page, no problem there. But we'd like to add a high-level dashboard to the Dev Gym home page.

Requirements for this dashboard include:
  • Simple, clean presentation: keep the amount of text and data to a minimu
  • Make it interesting for both competitive players and those simple wanting to strengthen their skills
So I have decided to ask our players to give us feedback: what would you prioritize for display in the dashboard? Can you point to any other sites that present this sort of data in a way you find helpful, intuitive, dazzling?

Thanks!
Steven


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Quick Guide to User-Defined Types in Oracle PL/SQL

A Twitter follower recently asked for more information on user-defined types in the PL/SQL language, and I figured the best way to answer is to offer up this blog post. PL/SQL is a strongly-typed language . Before you can work with a variable or constant, it must be declared with a type (yes, PL/SQL also supports lots of implicit conversions from one type to another, but still, everything must be declared with a type). PL/SQL offers a wide array of pre-defined data types , both in the language natively (such as VARCHAR2, PLS_INTEGER, BOOLEAN, etc.) and in a variety of supplied packages (e.g., the NUMBER_TABLE collection type in the DBMS_SQL package). Data types in PL/SQL can be scalars, such as strings and numbers, or composite (consisting of one or more scalars), such as record types, collection types and object types. You can't really declare your own "user-defined" scalars, though you can define subtypes  from those scalars, which can be very helpful from the p...

The future of Oracle PL/SQL: some thoughts on Sten Vesterli's thoughts

Sten Vesterli published a very thought-provoking post on his blog: Please stop reading this post, and read that one. When you are done, come on back here for my thoughts on Sten's thoughts. OK. You read it. Here we go. First, thanks, Sten, for being such an interesting, wise, sometimes provocative voice in our community. Next, Sten writes: Now, on the one hand, I certainly agree that the vast majority of young developers are currently caught up in the modern version of a Gold Rush, which is: "Build an app using JavaScript, pay no attention to that database behind the curtain." But I can assure you that I still do meet young PL/SQL programmers, regularly, when I am at conferences and doing onsite presentations at companies. So, young person who writes PL/SQL: do not be afraid! You are not alone! And you are super-smart to have made the choice you did. :-) Next, Sten offers this advice to managers: I agree that PL/SQL is a "spec...

Table Functions, Part 1: Introduction and Exploration

Please do feel encouraged to read this and my other posts on table functions, but you will learn much more about table functions by taking my Get Started with PL/SQL Table Functions class at the Oracle Dev Gym. Videos, tutorials and quizzes - then print a certificate when you are done! Table functions - functions that can be called in the FROM clause of a query from inside the TABLE operator - are fascinating and incredibly helpful constructs. So I've decided to write a series of blog posts on them: how to build them, how to use them, issues you might run into. Of course, I am not the first to do so. I encourage to check out the  documentation , as well as excellent posts from Adrian Billington (search for "table functions") and Tim Hall . Adrian and Tim mostly focus on pipelined table functions, a specialized variant of table functions designed to improve performance and reduce PGA consumption. I will take a look at pipelined table functions in the latter part...