Skip to main content

PL/SQL Puzzle: Getting the "right" error message to appear

I posted the following puzzle on Twitter:
What change(s) can you make to this code so that "ORA-00001: unique constraint" appears on the screen after execution?
Try it yourself before reading the rest of the post!


White space


so you do not immediately



see my answer. 



:-)


Here are the answers from the TwitterSphere:

Change line 5's assignment to dbms_sql.number_table(1=>1,2=>1)

In other words, try to insert the same value twice. Since there is a unique index on the column, that will cause ORA-00001 to be raised.

So that will do it, right?

Wrong. Hans and Dirk both point out why that is not enough, and offer the second part of the solution:

The value deposited in the error_code field of the SQL%BULK_EXCEPTIONS array is unsigned. In other words, 1 rather than -1 is stored. Unfortunately, the SQLERRM function assumes that the error code you pass it will be signed (negatively). So you must multiply the value in the pseudo-collection by -1. Then SQLERRM will return the right string.

Or as Dirk puts it:

(sqlerrm (sql%bulk_exceptions (indx).error_code));

must be

(sqlerrm (0 - sql%bulk_exceptions (indx).error_code));

You don't really need the 0, though. You can write simply:

(sqlerrm (-sql%bulk_exceptions (indx).error_code));

You can see all these variations at work in my LiveSQL script.

Actually, I was surprised that I did not receive any "silly" answers. After all, there are lots of ways to get "ORA-00001: unique constraint" to appear on the screen, such as:

DECLARE 
   two_ts DBMS_SQL.number_table := DBMS_SQL.number_table (1=>1,2=>2); 
BEGIN 
   DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE ('ORA-00001: unique constraint');
   RETURN;
   
   FORALL indx IN 1 .. 2 
   SAVE EXCEPTIONS 
      INSERT INTO t VALUES (two_ts(indx)); 
   DBMS_OUTPUT.put_line (SQL%ROWCOUNT || ' inserted'); 
   ROLLBACK; 
EXCEPTION 
   WHEN others 
   THEN 
      FOR indx IN 1 .. SQL%BULK_EXCEPTIONS.COUNT 
      LOOP 
         DBMS_OUTPUT.put_line 
            (SQLERRM (SQL%BULK_EXCEPTIONS (indx).ERROR_CODE)); 
      END LOOP; 
END; 

Yes, that's right, simply display it on the screen and then shortcut everything else with RETURN; (or not, let the rest of the code execute unchanged).

I guess it was a serious week for the Oracle Database developer community. :-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Quick Guide to User-Defined Types in Oracle PL/SQL

A Twitter follower recently asked for more information on user-defined types in the PL/SQL language, and I figured the best way to answer is to offer up this blog post. PL/SQL is a strongly-typed language . Before you can work with a variable or constant, it must be declared with a type (yes, PL/SQL also supports lots of implicit conversions from one type to another, but still, everything must be declared with a type). PL/SQL offers a wide array of pre-defined data types , both in the language natively (such as VARCHAR2, PLS_INTEGER, BOOLEAN, etc.) and in a variety of supplied packages (e.g., the NUMBER_TABLE collection type in the DBMS_SQL package). Data types in PL/SQL can be scalars, such as strings and numbers, or composite (consisting of one or more scalars), such as record types, collection types and object types. You can't really declare your own "user-defined" scalars, though you can define subtypes  from those scalars, which can be very helpful from the p...

The future of Oracle PL/SQL: some thoughts on Sten Vesterli's thoughts

Sten Vesterli published a very thought-provoking post on his blog: Please stop reading this post, and read that one. When you are done, come on back here for my thoughts on Sten's thoughts. OK. You read it. Here we go. First, thanks, Sten, for being such an interesting, wise, sometimes provocative voice in our community. Next, Sten writes: Now, on the one hand, I certainly agree that the vast majority of young developers are currently caught up in the modern version of a Gold Rush, which is: "Build an app using JavaScript, pay no attention to that database behind the curtain." But I can assure you that I still do meet young PL/SQL programmers, regularly, when I am at conferences and doing onsite presentations at companies. So, young person who writes PL/SQL: do not be afraid! You are not alone! And you are super-smart to have made the choice you did. :-) Next, Sten offers this advice to managers: I agree that PL/SQL is a "spec...

Table Functions, Part 1: Introduction and Exploration

Please do feel encouraged to read this and my other posts on table functions, but you will learn much more about table functions by taking my Get Started with PL/SQL Table Functions class at the Oracle Dev Gym. Videos, tutorials and quizzes - then print a certificate when you are done! Table functions - functions that can be called in the FROM clause of a query from inside the TABLE operator - are fascinating and incredibly helpful constructs. So I've decided to write a series of blog posts on them: how to build them, how to use them, issues you might run into. Of course, I am not the first to do so. I encourage to check out the  documentation , as well as excellent posts from Adrian Billington (search for "table functions") and Tim Hall . Adrian and Tim mostly focus on pipelined table functions, a specialized variant of table functions designed to improve performance and reduce PGA consumption. I will take a look at pipelined table functions in the latter part...