Skip to main content

Watch out for redundant code with WHILE loops

Generally, you should use a simple loop if you always want the body of the loop to execute at least once. You use a WHILE loop if you want to check before executing the body the first time. Since the WHILE loop performs its check “up front,” the variables in the boundary expression must be initialized. The code to initialize is often the same code needed to move to the next iteration in the WHILE loop. This redundancy creates a challenge in both debugging and maintaining the code: how do you remember to look at and update both?

If you find yourself writing and running the same code before the WHILE loop and at end of the WHILE loop body, consider switching to a simple loop.

Here's an example.
I write a procedure to calculate overdue charges for books; the maximum fine to be charged is $10, and I will stop processing when there are no overdue books for a given date. Here is my first attempt at the procedure body:

DECLARE
   l_fine PLS_INTEGER := 0;
   l_date DATE := SYSDATE;
   l_overdue_count NUMBER;
BEGIN
   l_overdue_count :=
      overdue_pkg.countem (
         borrower_id => borrower_in,
         l_date);
  
   WHILE (l_overdue_count > 0 AND l_fine < 10)
   LOOP
      update_fine_info (l_date, l_one_day_fine);

      l_fine := l_fine + l_one_day_fine;
      l_date := l_date + 1;

      l_overdue_count :=
         overdue_pkg.countem (
            borrower_id => borrower_in,
            l_date);
   END LOOP;
END;   

As is readily apparent, I duplicate the assignments of values to l_overdue_count. I would be far better off rewriting this code as follows:

DECLARE
   l_fine PLS_INTEGER := 0;
   l_date DATE := SYSDATE;
   l_overdue_count NUMBER;
BEGIN
   LOOP
      EXIT WHEN
        (l_overdue_count <= 0 OR l_fine >= 10)
     
      update_fine_info (l_date, l_one_day_fine);
     
      l_fine := l_fine + l_one_day_fine;
     
      l_date := l_date + 1;

      l_overdue_count :=
         overdue_pkg.countem (
            borrower_id => borrower_in,
            l_date);
   END LOOP;
END;   


By paying close attention to your loop construction, you can avoid redundant code, always bad news in a program, since it increases maintenance costs and the chance of introducing bugs into your code.

Comments

  1. Great tip Steven!

    There is a subtle difference between the two versions though... In your second example, l_overdue_count = NULL in the first iteration. It requires that one knows how nulls are handled in calculations and boolean evaluations, e.g:

    (null <= 0) evaluates to null
    (null or a) evaluates to a

    But in the case of AND
    (null and false) = false
    (null and true) = false
    This last one can surprise you if you're not paying attention ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Rop, thanks for writing, but I need some clarification. When I execute this block:

    DECLARE
    PROCEDURE bplstr (str IN VARCHAR2, val IN BOOLEAN)
    IS
    BEGIN
    DBMS_OUTPUT.put_line (
    str
    || ' - '
    || CASE val
    WHEN TRUE THEN 'TRUE'
    WHEN FALSE THEN 'FALSE'
    ELSE 'NULL'
    END);
    END bplstr;
    BEGIN
    bplstr ('(NULL AND FALSE)', (NULL AND FALSE));
    bplstr ('(NULL AND TRUE)', (NULL AND TRUE));
    bplstr ('(NULL OR FALSE)', (NULL OR FALSE));
    bplstr ('(NULL OR TRUE)', (NULL OR TRUE));
    END;
    /

    I see:

    (NULL AND FALSE) - FALSE
    (NULL AND TRUE) - NULL
    (NULL OR FALSE) - NULL
    (NULL OR TRUE) - TRUE

    What do you see?

    ReplyDelete
  3. *Sigh* of course you're right... my output is the same as yours. I fell into my own trap while trying to be smart.

    I only used an if/then/else, like this:

    if (null and true) then
    dbms_output.put_line('true');
    else
    dbms_output.put_line('false');
    end if;

    This outputs 'false' when the actual value is null.
    Well... it shows how difficult it is to evaluate null conditions ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Quick Guide to User-Defined Types in Oracle PL/SQL

A Twitter follower recently asked for more information on user-defined types in the PL/SQL language, and I figured the best way to answer is to offer up this blog post. PL/SQL is a strongly-typed language . Before you can work with a variable or constant, it must be declared with a type (yes, PL/SQL also supports lots of implicit conversions from one type to another, but still, everything must be declared with a type). PL/SQL offers a wide array of pre-defined data types , both in the language natively (such as VARCHAR2, PLS_INTEGER, BOOLEAN, etc.) and in a variety of supplied packages (e.g., the NUMBER_TABLE collection type in the DBMS_SQL package). Data types in PL/SQL can be scalars, such as strings and numbers, or composite (consisting of one or more scalars), such as record types, collection types and object types. You can't really declare your own "user-defined" scalars, though you can define subtypes  from those scalars, which can be very helpful from the p...

The future of Oracle PL/SQL: some thoughts on Sten Vesterli's thoughts

Sten Vesterli published a very thought-provoking post on his blog: Please stop reading this post, and read that one. When you are done, come on back here for my thoughts on Sten's thoughts. OK. You read it. Here we go. First, thanks, Sten, for being such an interesting, wise, sometimes provocative voice in our community. Next, Sten writes: Now, on the one hand, I certainly agree that the vast majority of young developers are currently caught up in the modern version of a Gold Rush, which is: "Build an app using JavaScript, pay no attention to that database behind the curtain." But I can assure you that I still do meet young PL/SQL programmers, regularly, when I am at conferences and doing onsite presentations at companies. So, young person who writes PL/SQL: do not be afraid! You are not alone! And you are super-smart to have made the choice you did. :-) Next, Sten offers this advice to managers: I agree that PL/SQL is a "spec...

Table Functions, Part 1: Introduction and Exploration

Please do feel encouraged to read this and my other posts on table functions, but you will learn much more about table functions by taking my Get Started with PL/SQL Table Functions class at the Oracle Dev Gym. Videos, tutorials and quizzes - then print a certificate when you are done! Table functions - functions that can be called in the FROM clause of a query from inside the TABLE operator - are fascinating and incredibly helpful constructs. So I've decided to write a series of blog posts on them: how to build them, how to use them, issues you might run into. Of course, I am not the first to do so. I encourage to check out the  documentation , as well as excellent posts from Adrian Billington (search for "table functions") and Tim Hall . Adrian and Tim mostly focus on pipelined table functions, a specialized variant of table functions designed to improve performance and reduce PGA consumption. I will take a look at pipelined table functions in the latter part...